(a snapshot of our city; the intersection where the event will be held)
Our vision for “A Palpable Thrill: An Introduction to the Medical Humanities” is to create an initiative that will:
- Passionately promote anti-oppressive practice
- Encourage reciprocity between healthcare and the humanities to create a continuum between thinking and action
- Conceptualize MedHum as not just an exercise, but something to be consistently and profoundly embodied
- Connect people at all stages of research and training: students, scholars, teachers
- Understand healthcare through many identifying lenses: patient, healer, learner, doctor, midwife, and more.
- Determinedly make space for lived experience
- Engage artists, musicians, and writers (both professional and otherwise) to broaden the scope of medical and academic knowledge
- Develop a community that will continue to grow and thrive through, after, and as a result of this conference and coffee house
- Regularly reach out to and draw from the Hamilton community; share local food, coffee, art, and culture
*This is a manifesto in flux. It is open to our community for collaborative edits and re-writes.